Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Canada travelogue 8 - Vancouver, here I come...

Sometimes we have this spur of the moment ideas to swing into action; I have them often when travelling. In the morning I decided to do a bus ride from Calgary to Vancouver; till the previous night I wasn't even thinking of a bus journey! My sister packed some lunch (curd rice and a vegetable), some snacks and juice in a little pouch. She also gave me her mobile.

The Punjabi cab driver made some small talk during the drive to the bus station - he told he'd been here for 20 years, he'd spent time in Vancouver also, he said it was a good city etc. The cab cost was almost equal to a one-way bus ticket!

When we aren't frequent flyers, we always keep wondering if we've forgotten something till we cross immigration in the other country. This was my first bus journey in Canada across cities and I kept wondering if perhaps I had forgotten something, perhaps the online booking had failed, perhaps I had come to the wrong station etc. The fears in our mind are a lot greater than what occurs in reality!
At the counter I got a lengthy ticket for my ride. I was one of the very few passengers travelling light - everyone else had at least 1 or 2 large bags (like check-in luggage which would be put in the luggage compartment). All baggage was physically checked by a security guard.

Ready to go

The Greyhound bus ride was scenic; a bit similar to our trips in India going to hill stations. It started drizzling late in the evening and we got to see a rainbow on the way; the bus had a toilet at the back but I didn't have to use it since we had plenty of stops where I used the pubic restrooms. The bus was comfortable - ample leg space and many of us had the luxury of occupying two seats instead of one.
The drivers announced each stop on the microphone, they said how long we would have and politely mentioned some ground rules (like avoiding conversations during the night etc.) Just like back home the driver would take a count of people in the bus after every stop to ensure everyone was back in. Unlike back home, there was no conductor or 2nd driver on the bus. And I felt that the drivers here had a better schedule than drivers back home; for day time driving they seem to do about 8 hours drive but when it comes to the night they do shorter intervals - a new driver takes over in one of the major bus stops and drives till the next switch.

There was one long halt of 20 minutes late in the evening for us to get dinner. I bought a couple of burgers, chocolate bars and nuts. I find chocolates and nuts very handy in long journeys. During one of the midnight stops I wondered if this was a good idea - I started the journey in a hurry, my phone for some reason wasn't working, I couldn't see where in Canada we were, it was raining hard, the places we stopped at were deserted as if in the middle of nowhere, I was travelling alone and it was a 15 hour bus journey! The reason for taking the bus was because it was cheaper than air fare and you also get to see more of the country on a road trip.

Rise and shine

I was hoping we'd reach Vancouver late so that it would be daytime; but we were early - it was 4:30am! The parking lot where the bus stopped was pitch dark. I was worried of being left in the dark on a road like some bus operators do in Washington. I tend to have an uneasy feeling of fear when I'm alone in a new city abroad for the first time. Up to this point I had a bad feeling about this trip; maybe I should've planned better and come later.

Fortunately the bus station seemed to be an important station and I saw a couple of security guards inside. The station was used by Amtrak trains as well and there were some passengers waiting in the main hall. All shops were closed. I took my time in the station; used the restroom (if you are used to some public toilets in India, I'd say this was super clean; the absence of water in the toilet except for the wash basin definitely makes it easier to keep clean), tried to get the phone working and when I managed to connect to the net I felt a bit better. At least I wasn't disconnected from the world.

My hotel was 2kms away - one of the reasons I picked it was because of proximity. There were some taxis waiting in a line outside the station but I decided to walk since Google said it knew the way. There was a very slight drizzle; temperature was 8 degree centigrade. After walking a few steps, there was a haggard guy with uncombed hair and a scratchy beard who looked me in the eye. You have all these strange thoughts and imaginations running in your head at such moments - the night, a poor looking man but physically bigger than you, no one to call out for help and barely any vehicles moving on the road. What he said was something I least expected. He softly said, "Good morning". The mental fears again! I wished back and moved faster. I had read that in Vancouver there are a lot of homeless people. Further on there were a couple more guys who were busy sorting through some recycling items that they collected in a bag. They also wished me. With every step I gained in confidence. When I crossed the first road, I saw a police car a few meters away. Whether there was any cop inside that vehicle or not I didn't know; but the sight of the car added to my confidence.

Note: My books (a novel and a free ebook) are available online - http://www.sstutor.com/book.aspx

No comments: